SAG-AFTRA Strike Stirs Fall Film Festival Frenzy
A strike called by the Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) has sent ripples through the film industry, leaving fall film festivals on edge. The SAG-AFTRA announced the strike on Thursday, and its impact is expected to extend to film festivals and other film-related events.
The Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) and the Venice Film Festival are among the events grappling with the fallout. "We will continue planning for this year's festival with the hope of a swift resolution in the coming weeks," a spokesperson for TIFF told Deadline. "The impact of this strike on the industry and events like ours cannot be denied."
Venice Film Festival officials also reflected on the situation, with an insider stating, "There's nothing we can do but wait and see." Meanwhile, TIFF appealed to its partners and colleagues to "resume an open dialogue."
The Venice Film Festival is scheduled to run from August 30th to September 9th, while TIFF is slated for September 7th-17th. The Telluride Film Festival, celebrating its 50th anniversary, has yet to announce its lineup.
The strike has thrown a wrench into planned premieres at the festivals. TIFF has already booked the world premiere of Taikia Waititi’s Searchlight comedy "Next Goal Wins." The festival has also scheduled a feature by French director Ladj Ly, "Les Indésirables."
Despite this uncertainty, some optimists believe there is still room for a successful festival season--if the strike doesn't last too long. One public relations expert suggests that a four-week strike could still allow for a star-studded festival circuit.
The announcement of the strike comes after reports of its possibility had already stirred concern. "This has to get solved. There’s just too much money on the line for these movies," an awarding season strategist told Deadline.
It seems, however, that the current predicament is more an echo of the recent past than a novel conundrum. "It feels like we're falling back to Covid times," shared one concerned strategist. The present strike has also caused some immediate disruptions. The Galway Film Fleadh in Ireland, for instance, had to cancel a Q&A session with actor and former SAG presidential candidate Matthew Modine.
Now, onto some signature Prenticisms.
Fielding a star-studded film festival in the wake of a SAG-AFTRA strike is truly a conundrum worthy of a Hollywood drama itself. Picture the scene: festival organizers, instead of sipping their espressos and discussing film reparations, are now nervously leafing through Plan Bs, Cs and undoubtedly Plan “In-Case-of-Earthquake” Ds.
The official stance may be "wait and see," but the industry chatter is undoubtedly more colorful. After all, the Venice Film Festival without stars? That's like Paris without the Eiffel Tower, or a Bond movie without 007. As our insider so eloquently put it, "There's nothing we can do but wait and see." While that may sound like the title of a Daniel Craig swan song, the reality could be much less glamorous.
An awards strategist observed money to be the tipping factor here, and money is indeed the King Kong in the room. As with any great Hollywood story, the plot focuses on the fight against time. Will a star-powered fall film festival season be another victim of this strike, or can it be saved in true Hollywood fashion with an eleventh-hour resolution?
But maybe, just maybe, it's time for a bit of an experiment. Perhaps a festival circuit devoid of star power can pivot to an emphasis on the sheer craft that cinema is. As our PR wizard points out, there's still time to plan.
As for the 'deja vu' feelings of falling back into Covid times, that's a sequel no one wanted. The industry, just like the rest of the world, is trying to stage a comeback, and a rewind button is the last thing we need right now.
So, let's keep the magic reel rolling, Hollywood. After all, the show must go on. Or so the saying goes.
